How to grease linear rails

Building your RailCore and having questions or issues?

Topic author
justinsgray
Printer Variant: RailCore II 300ZL

How to grease linear rails

Post by justinsgray » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:20 pm

I think my linear rails of squeaking. At least, there is a consistent and fairly loud sqeak whenever the print head is near a particular portion of the bed near Y=0. The only thing I can think of that would squeak in a location specific way is the rails. So it seems like my y rail needs some grease.

My first inclination is to remove the y-rail completely, disassemble and clean it all, and then re-grease the carriage directly. But I suspect that inclination is due to the multitude of "how to grease your cheap Chinese rails" videos I have watched. Since my machine came from Project R3D, they supposedly already cleaned and greased all the rails themselves. So perhaps mine just needs a bit of extra grease added...

But I don't see any grease ports on the carriages themselves so I guess I'll just spread a bit of lithium grease onto the rail guides and move the carriage through them, then wipe off any excess.

Anyone have any experience with greasing linear rails?

PlasticMetal

Post by PlasticMetal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:32 pm

Emparus
Printer Variant: Still Building

Post by Emparus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 pm

I first would check the alignment of the rail and determine if there is a dent in the rail. It would run rough if dirty but squeaking is quite serious. Not even sure how that would be possible? The Z might do that if not lubricated and you have brass nuts running on the leadscrew. Would be great to have a list of lubrication people use. Hiwin has an assortment of greases, but impossible to get anywhere.

Topic author
justinsgray

Post by justinsgray » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 am

Its definitely the y-axis rail. Here is a video of it (https://photos.app.goo.gl/UtQs61Hy8LWufSDs5). Its only at the extreme y-min edge of that rail, but from the video you can see that its consistent there.

Im not sure how to check it for a dent, but I do have access to a decent surface plate so I can check it for level if need be. I guess I'll have to take it apart and clean it out as a step 1. I'll run the video by the folks at Project R3D and see what they say as well.

Topic author
justinsgray

Post by justinsgray » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:02 am

Guess what, despite my saying "its definitely the y-axis rail" ... it wasn't :)

Joseph from Project R3D instantly identified it as squeak from the idler pulleys. One of them had drifted up just tad and was squeaking. Once I pushed it back down the squeak went away.

So I think the solution is to add a few extra spacers on top of the idlers to take up the dead-space there. That way the pulleys stay correctly aligned vertically.