My RailCore

Show us your glorious finished Printers :)

RanchRifle
Printer Variant: Still Building

Re: My RailCore

Post by RanchRifle » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:00 pm

PlasticMetal wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 pm
I'll answer my own question. I had thought the milled logo text would be on a side panel - it's actually on the interior bottom, which keeps it more visible.

I cleaned most of the mill chips out of the text, and hand-painted a few coats with some acrylic craft paint we had on hand. It looks real sharp!
Post a picture! We want to see!

PlasticMetal
Printer Variant: RailCore II 300ZL

Post by PlasticMetal » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:53 pm

I had bought yellow paint before the printer arrived, forgetting it shipped with red printed parts, but I used it anyway. I currently have the printer torn apart to 1) better square up the frame, and 2) install aluminum Z yokes and LED strip lights, so I plan on painting red over the yellow. The yellow does look good, and I'm sure the red won't stand out as much, but at least it will be a closer match.

I originally used small brushes to apply the paint, but this time I've got some plastic-tipped syringes on order to try. I'm hoping I can just squeeze the paint into the milled lettering. What isn't real apparent in the picture is the cracking - the multiple layers of paint contracted quite a bit while drying. If I'm patient enough this time, I'll give it all a couple days to dry, then try to apply a final thin coat, just enough to cover any cracks. Either way, you can't really see them when it's installed in the printer anyway.

It's good to see the forum back up. Now only if more people would show up.
Attachments
painted base plate -small.jpg
painted base plate -small.jpg (127.74 KiB) Viewed 274 times

RanchRifle
Printer Variant: Still Building

Post by RanchRifle » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:41 pm

That, sir, looks awesome!

PlasticMetal
Printer Variant: RailCore II 300ZL

Post by PlasticMetal » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:18 pm

Thank you. While the yellow stands out better, I've since repainted it in red, to more closely match the kit printed parts. I also discovered that it's much easier to apply the paint using a small plastic syringe, like off eBay or Amazon. That worked for the majority of each letter, but then I did use a small brush to coat the sides of each character.