My RailCore

Show us your glorious finished Printers :)

Topic author
kraegar
Printer Variant: RailCore IIZL

My RailCore

Post by kraegar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Originally it looked very different - white melamine sides, and a "standard" configuration, all printed parts. But this is pretty much what it looks like now.

Here's a full gallery of images: https://imgur.com/a/XG5x8

Eric
Printer Variant: RailCore II 300ZL

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:01 pm

Its a dam good looking printer. Looks even sleeker when you run the cables in a drag chain

bpislife

Post by bpislife » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:25 pm

Are you not using the metal idler pulleys?

jstevewhite
Printer Variant: RailCore II

Post by jstevewhite » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:53 am

Yeah, the black look is very sexy. The white was very "plain jane" and all business. kraegar really stepped up the RailCore's game when he bought his own mill to make sides for it. Without that dedication to the project there wouldn't be nearly as many out there now. It definitely looks better than the old melamine like mine :D

RanchRifle
Printer Variant: Still Building

Post by RanchRifle » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:13 am

jstevewhite wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:53 am
Yeah, the black look is very sexy. The white was very "plain jane" and all business. kraegar really stepped up the RailCore's game when he bought his own mill to make sides for it. Without that dedication to the project there wouldn't be nearly as many out there now. It definitely looks better than the old melamine like mine :D
Well, we were not going to say anything, out of respect for your feelings. However, now that you brought it up.....

PlasticMetal

Post by PlasticMetal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 pm

Yes, real nice looking machine. Too bad there aren't more pix here, especially from the new R3D builds. I guess everyone is hooked on FB (where i have no intention of creating an account unless I really have to).

I just ordered a kit last night from batch 2, so hopefully I can receive and build it by the end of the year.

RanchRifle
Printer Variant: Still Building

Post by RanchRifle » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:09 pm

PlasticMetal wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 pm
Yes, real nice looking machine. Too bad there aren't more pix here, especially from the new R3D builds. I guess everyone is hooked on FB (where i have no intention of creating an account unless I really have to).

I just ordered a kit last night from batch 2, so hopefully I can receive and build it by the end of the year.
I can hardly wait to see it!

jstevewhite
Printer Variant: RailCore II

Post by jstevewhite » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:03 pm

RanchRifle wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:13 am
Well, we were not going to say anything, out of respect for your feelings. However, now that you brought it up.....
I kinda like the fact that mine (with all the aluminum bits) is starting to look like some kinda lab gear. :D kraegar's looks much more industrial, though. Eh, I like 'em both. I want one of each hehehe.

PlasticMetal

Post by PlasticMetal » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:29 am

Suggestions on filling in the milled text on the sides? I'd really like the characters to be partially filled with a contrasting color of...something. I'm imagining a liquid plastic carefully poured in, but without a mask on the surrounding HDPE I think I would create a monster of a mess.

I've seen people melt crayons for tasks like this, but I'm wondering if there's something easier & cleaner.

Kit arrived on Friday - I was actually in batch three, so R3D is moving along nicely. Very well packaged for shipment. I was missing a few things from the BOM/packing list, but as it turns out the printed list itself just needed to be updated. I'm working on tapping extrusions right now.

PlasticMetal

Post by PlasticMetal » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 pm

I'll answer my own question. I had thought the milled logo text would be on a side panel - it's actually on the interior bottom, which keeps it more visible.

I cleaned most of the mill chips out of the text, and hand-painted a few coats with some acrylic craft paint we had on hand. It looks real sharp!