300ZL with E3D Titan Aero extruder

Show us your glorious finished Printers :)

Topic author
Emparus
Printer Variant: Still Building

300ZL with E3D Titan Aero extruder

Post by Emparus » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Finished my build. Need to cleanup some cables but it is printing fantastically already without much calibration. This build is 5cm taller than the original. Only required to change the vertical profiles the lead screws were 50cm anyway. I used a 20 lead ribbon cable to carry most connections.
New Y carriage for E3D Titan Aero and new shroud.
New enclosure for PanelDue 5 inch LCD.
36 inch Filament holder printed on this beauty.
If someone wants the brackets I made I post those too.

The IR probe was not leveling reliable with my PEI bed. I added an NPN Omron inductive probe.
Omron E2B-M12KN08-WP-C1 2M. These have twice the detection distance of the regular M12 probes.

I exchanged the stiff rubber pads under the bed with springs and two washers The springs are those that are in the Titan extruders so easy to get.

Made a new filament guide for the Titan aero to print flexilbles at higher speeds.

Breakout boards are originally for Wanhao D6II/D9. Did not use the proximity probe 3 pin connector on the board as you would have to remove SMD transistor and resistors from the underside of the board.

Y carriage, thing:3206498
PanelDue, thing:3285797
Filament holder, thing:3290533
Shroud with proximity probe, thing:3313942
Filament guide, thing:3308942
Attachments
IMG_2147b.jpg
IMG_2147b.jpg (106.02 KiB) Viewed 777 times
IMG_2144b.jpg
IMG_2144b.jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 777 times
IMG_2140.jpg
IMG_2140.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Last edited by Emparus on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

PlasticMetal
Printer Variant: RailCore II 300ZL

Post by PlasticMetal » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Looks great! I've a kit due in tomorrow - I look forward to your experiences as I slowly get mine up & running.

Topic author
Emparus

Post by Emparus » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:35 am

Thanks. The only think I will change is the proximity sensor. IR sensor isn't doing well with PEI. It is alright but I often have to micro adjust while printing the brim. I have some slight Z banding I will try to work on. But this thing is fast printing everything at twice the speed I use on my other printer. Have fun putting this together.

PlasticMetal

Post by PlasticMetal » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:11 pm

I've been wondering about the IR sensor. My current printer is a delta, where I use a SmartEffector (strain gauge), and PEI adhered to glass, resting on a thick aluminum heat bed. I get 0.022-0.028 deviation with that combination.

Is your PEI on glass, over the aluminum? I believe I've read on the Duet forum that using a high-temperature dark spray paint on the underside of the glass helps with IR reflection.

I just got some spring steel sheets with thin PEI to glue on. I'm curious if the steel sheets will be dark enough for the IR sensor. I also have a spare Orion piezo sensor that I've never used, that may get installed on the RailCore if the IR doesn't work well.

Any idea what other RailCore users are using? I'm not on Facebook and so can't see the forum.

Topic author
Emparus

Post by Emparus » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:17 pm

Not doing facebook either.
I mostly print PETG so I love PEI as a print surface. 1 mm thick PEI is glued onto the AL plate directly. PEI was wet sanded with 1000 Grid. It is ok most of the time when leveling 3 times, within 0.05mm, so the areas being probed return IR quite similar. But the grid probing results are as much off as 0.25mm in some areas. Small bubbles in the glue layer seem to throw it off quite dramatically. I read the spray tip also, but none of these will do well at 100C in conjunction with the 3M glue pad and you can't bake PEI at 250C.

I still have an Omron NPN probe around that I will integrate instead. This probe has a working distance of 8mm for Fe (4mm Al) in a M12 form factor so that will work nicely.

Topic author
Emparus

Post by Emparus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:26 pm

I wish they would make the facebook group public, then everyone at least could look at the discussions. Right now it is a closed group so you need an facebook account to see the posts.

PlasticMetal

Post by PlasticMetal » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:16 pm

Absolutely agreed. I can't figure out the fascination with FB. They willfully admit they physically track you even with all "options" disabled, they sell your information so you can be harassed with even more advertising, and their security is pathetic, allowing all sorts of bad actors to steal even more of your personal details. I have also heard complaints that the FB forum structure is bad, making searching for information difficult.

Forum software like this has been developed & refined over time to be really good at what it does. And, no one but my family and employer need to know my birth date, etc. This is a hobby (or at most a part-time business) - let me make an account with an email address and talk printers.

Topic author
Emparus

Post by Emparus » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Yup, I also favor dedicated forums for focused exchange of ideas.

Topic author
Emparus

Post by Emparus » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:11 am

I exchanged the stiff rubber pads under the bed with stiff springs and two washers on top and below to get about 2-3 mm play. Had some nasty grinds when I tried to home and level without heating the nozzle first and some filament blob had hardened at the nozzle. These are the same springs that are in the Titan extruders so easy to get.
Attachments
IMG_2206b.jpg
IMG_2206b.jpg (234.37 KiB) Viewed 626 times